Saturday 10 November 2012

One Month Down! Almost....

Hello friends, you all look so good today!
So this past week has been pretty amazing... Never mind the ridiculous support I have been shown that has left me feeling almost confused in its massiveness. 11 thousand dollars? Is this really happening?

The pain in my body tells me "Yes dipshit, this is happening. People love and support you even though you are too dumb to get out of the way of a large piece of wood." I get that, but I am still freaked out by it all. Freaked out and grateful.

 I can't wait to see everyone at the show next Friday! My sister Tori and her husband Mick have been working like maniacs to make this upcoming event a success and I am super pumped to get to it!
It is going to be part high school reunion, part "Welcome to your life" and an amazing celebration of life to say the least. I can't wait to be able to actually hug people (gently) and thank people in person. I can't wait.

So medical update. I saw the plastic surgeon for the second time in two weeks. He gave me the all clear and said that I wouldn't need surgery on my orbital bone. Yay!  THAT was great news. I also saw the orthopedic doctor and he went over my many x rays and ordered new ones. After reviewing them he told me to keep the neck brace on for another 2 weeks and that we would revisit the spinal stuff later. What I thought was a cracked heel was actually plantar facsitis (or something that sounds like that, I'm too lazy to look up the proper spelling lol) All my bones seem to be healing well but my collarbone is a mess. They aren't going to do any surgery on it, it will heal on its own. Just a little crooked is all!

Speaking of the collarbone I am still working on the range of motion (for my arm) and have a ways to go yet. I know it will be only a month on the 11th (Remembrance Day no less...) since I got hurt but I am trying hard to get back to where I was. These things take time and I know that, but I still like to push it a bit. The busted ribs are getting better but they still kept me from going to the Wreck MMA event last night.

My friend (and one of my teachers at OAMA) Nick Castiglia, who is also the president of Wreck, graciously offered me tickets to the event but I had to decline. The last thing I need is to get bumped or jostled and make this worse. (I'm gonna be real careful on friday!!!)I wish I could have been there to support the team but they did just fine by the sounds of it! Still, it was really nice of Nick to offer them up to me.

I have a couple more doctors to see but so far things are going really well. I have to say the only reason why I have been able to heal so quickly is because people have stepped up to make it easy. My boss and lifelong buddy Big Ern has been battling WSIB over paperwork regarding my case and it kills me that he is burdened with this crap. He has been amazing and has made sure I have what I need in every way. I wish I could help him more with this frustrating crap but he has it in check. I love that dude. My girlfriend Terri has been a rockstar around the farm and around me. I watched her working today, moving round bales and working on stuff in the barn and was frustrated I couldn't help. (although it was cool to see her manhandle those round bales!) I hate not being able to use my body the way I am used to, but I am grateful I will be able to once again.

Some aren't so lucky.

My mother told me of another mother she met in the civic hospital last week who's 18 year old son was also injured in an accident involving tree work. He got hurt around the same time as me but wasn't as lucky as I was. This young man is paralyzed from the waist down and has had 11 surgeries already to deal with multiple injuries. I don't know what happened exactly, but it was obviously very bad. My mom met this young guy and started talking to him about me and next thing you know, numbers are exchanged and we are going to connect. Apparently he and his girlfriend got excited about coming to chill (when he can of course) at the farm. I look forward to talking to this tough little bastard and spending some time with him. He will no doubt inspire me and I hope to ease his burden in any way I can. That's my mom, helping constantly. I am lucky to have a mom like that.

My friend Dan (drummer in Loudlove) has been over to fix my screen door blown off by the storm, move furniture and he even put out the garbage unannounced one day! He is a rockstar x2 now!... His dad even helped one day too! Another good friend Matt came over and schooled me in how to feed my body the right way to maximize healing and we had a great visit. So cool!

So many good friends have come over to hang out and it has been awesome to see people. Its weird to be homebound but thank god I have the internet! I have received care packages, food, phone calls and emails from so many people that I would want to punch me if I was reading this. You can too if you want to, but give me a month or so alright? lol. But seriously, a month okay??

I even managed to get my busted ass to a job interview for a sales position at a cemetery. I looked like an idiot with my neck brace and my old man walk, but I am glad I made it out. (thanks for the ride mom and dad) It is 11 minutes from where I live so I went for it knowing I wouldn't be far, or out all day. It was something I applied for two days before my accident and they called a few days ago! I was trying to find something for when I got laid off this winter that didn't involve labour (not knowing I was going to get smashed..lol) and it looks like I might have a shot at the position. I have a second interview monday and although I am far from 100% I am hoping I can at least get the job and start to learn the position before I am good to go. They know I am hurt and I hope that dragging myself out there gets me some points! We shall see.... I'm not going to stress about it. You people have taken care of that. I just want to kiss you all.. damn!

My book is being edited as you read this and is almost ready to go. My buddy Scott has the artwork ready to go and I love it! My awesome cousin Chris is getting the web stuff going and this thing is getting close to being launched. It is exciting, scary, surreal and incredible. My mentor John C. Parkin released his latest book this month and I have been following his success with it. It is so amazing to have that guy in my corner. I got an email from him that he is writing the foreword to my book this weekend. I am a lucky man.

So thats what has been going on. I remain flabbergasted by the support and grateful to the core and beyond. I know it gets tiring to read me go on and on about being grateful but its my blog and I'll write what I want! I AM GRATEFUL!

So I have a favour/demand to ask that everyone who has donated money, time or helped me in any way please send me your info to pete@loudlove.com I have a little surprise for you so please don't be shy. I BEG you to send me your info. PLEASE!!!! Just send it!!!

So thats it for now. I know it was a lot but I wanted to let you all know I am doing well. (In a really long winded way of course..) THAT is because of all of you who have stepped up and helped me in many ways. You are all sneaky, amazing, beautiful people... Thank you!

But don't let it go to your heads... lol

Have a great Remembrance day. I know that beyond giving thanks to those who have stepped up for all of us in many conflicts past and present, I will be giving thanks and remembering what you all have done for me. Believe that.

See you on Friday!
Big love,
Pete






  

No comments:

Post a Comment